Terms Word-Match- Match
the word below to the correct term and write it in the space. When you are
finished, check your answers with the answer sheet (see below).
- ___________ Adult female horse (4 years and older).
- ___________ Castrated adult male horse (Generally 4 years and older, but can
refer to a ------- horse of any age).
- ___________ Uncastrated adult male horse (4 years and older).
- ___________ A full-grown small horse (14.2 hands and under).
- ___________ A newborn baby horse of either sex (before weaning).
- ___________ A colt or filly who is weaned from his mother (approx. 6 months to
a maximum 12 months old.)
- ___________ A horse who has passed January 1 of the year following his birth.
- ___________ Male horse (3 years old and under).
- ___________ Female horse (3 years old and under).
- ___________ The way a horse is built. ie. straight legs which do not interfere
with each other (hit) when the horse moves, well-developed body, well
proportioned. A horse with good ------------ is stronger and more likely to
- ___________ Measures how tall a horse is (one ---- = four inches). Measurement
starts at the highest point of the wither.
- ___________ A "----" horse has a leg injury that interferes with his
performance. A ---- horse will usually show a definite limp when worked at
the trot, especially noticeable on a circle.
- ___________ A "----- horse" does not have any injuries that
interfere with his performance and/or health.
- ___________ This word is used when describing the secondary colour of a horse. The
"------" of horse are his mane, tail, lower legs and the tips of
- ___________ The different paces a horse can travel. Every horse has four
natural "----s", the (1) walk- four beats, (2) trot- two beats (3)
canter-three beats, and (4) gallop- the fastest, and also four beats.
- ___________ When the rider is rising at the trot ("posting"), he/she
rises with the outside foreleg. The leg he/she rises to is called the
d-------. Posting with the inside leg is being on the "wrong d-------".
- ___________ The foreleg which reaches most forward when a horse is cantering.
The inside leg should be the lead when cantering. Cantering on the
"wrong" ---- means that the horse is bent to the outside.
- ___________ The process of separating a foal from its mother so that it no
- ___________ All equipment used on a horse (bridle, saddle, halter, etc.)
- ___________ A very long rein (about 20-40 feet) used to ----- a horse.
- ___________ A way of exercising or training a horse, or training the rider,
using a longe line (long rope), that is attached to the horse's halter,
bridle or a longing cavasson (special halter with an extra ring on the top
of the noseband and the sides of the the noseband to accommodate the
centered longe line and side reins. The horse moves in a circle around the
trainer, who stands in the middle holding the longe line in one hand and a
long whip in the other hand.
- LONGE LINE
to word game 2
to Kids Page
©Raspberry Ridge Farms, 2002 www.raspberryridge.com